Pages

Tuesday 29 June 2021

Visit to Te Oro


 Kia ora bloggers.

Today my class & room 10 went to Te Oro to learn about matariki and Maori art. We each had 3 groups for 3 activities called Harakeke, kowhaiwhai,Tuhituhi. I was in kowhaiwhai with Matua Logan and whetu, they were very kind and thoughtful.

They also encouraged us to be creative and to leave all your negative thoughts outside and to also think outside the box. Obviously before that all happened we took our shoes off and lined up as we enter Te Oro. Once we entered Te Oro we were surprised with an amazing introduction by the teachers and their whanau. After all that Matua Logan asked us simple questions about Matariki and questions such as 'what's the god of the oceans name?' (Tangaroa) as we answered the questions correctly Matua Logan gave those who answered the questions a lollie which was surprising because no one expected anything. 

As we move on with our groups, some year 8s from last year already went through this but luckily we went into a group we haven't done last year and so I went into kowhaiwhai. It was very fun and interesting as we had a white plain paper, folded into 4 squares already served to us. In those four boxes, in box 1 we had to draw a koru, in box 2 we drew a hammerhead shark also known as Mangopare, In box 3 we had to connect the Mangopare on box 2 with box 3 but drawing it on opposite sides & last but not least we drew waharua kopito. (If you are new to these Maori patterns feel free to use google) After all that Matua Logan and Whetu gladly gave us good amount of wood that was painted white before given to us, they also put painting pallets with the colour blue, purple, gold, black and green.

Using those patterns we drew earlier, we painted with the colours that make us who we are, but of course we had to plan our work with a pencil on our piece of wood and then colour it over using paint. I would say this adventure was pretty amusing I had lots of fun with my friends as well as learning new things.

 



   



Don't forget to leave a comment !                                                                                                              Thank you :)

4 comments:

  1. Hello Deborah

    It was great to see your post today. I saw some mistakes but that's okay you can check them and fix them before others see your blog. I was in the Kotahitahi group which means art and we did something similar to your group. Out of the four pictures you drew, what was your favourite? Well that's it for me, have a great day and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Nia Jaye.
      Thank you for commenting as well as helping out with my blog, I fixed everything thanks to you. My favourite pattern I drew was the mangopare (hammerhead Shark) I think it was simple and easy.

      Once again, thank you for commenting Nia Jaye !

      Delete
  2. Malo e lelei Deborah. I really like seeing your blog posts because of how interesting they are. Which colour did you like the meaning of the best? I also think that the hammerhead shark is simple to draw, now that I know how to draw it thanks to you. Keep up the exceptional work Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Milika.
      The colour that was most meaningful was red, I think red is the most meaningful because it represents love and I think love is very important.

      Thank you Milika for commenting!

      Delete