Pages

Wednesday 23 June 2021

Ngatu - Keeping the tradition alive

Malo e lelei Bloggers.
Today a good amount of students got chosen to work with one of our student teachers and I was one of them. Our student teachers name is Miss Myers, she is a lovely and caring teacher. 
This session she taught us how to find the main idea in the story, how to create a ngatu, what were the importance of ngatu and the Tongan vocabulary. I learnt new vocabulary such as Tutu - the bark used to make ngatu, koka'anga - the way of making ngatu, ike - wooden tool for beating the ngatu and more. 
It was an interesting session with Miss Myers. As you may or may not know, to be a complete teacher you must go through 3 years of getting experience from different schools, learning off teachers and students. Miss Myers is on her 3rd year of training, which means she is going to be a teacher in 6 months! from my experience with Miss Myers I think that her new class and students will love her. 
Back to my class session reading Ngatu. I also learnt the difference creating a ngatu in Tongan and creating a ngatu in New Zealand because creating the ngatu in New Zealand they use flour and glue but in Tonga back in the Islands they used half cooked potato as a glue to stick the parts that had holes. 
I had an amazing time with my group as well as Miss Myers and learned a lot of interesting things about making ngatu. I hope to have another reading session like today with Miss Myers wishing her all the best with her new class.
Etc. Ngatu 
Don't forget to leave a comment !
Thank you :)

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Deborah I see that you learned about how to make a ngatu and I never knew that New Zealanders use flour and glue to patch the holes, but your writing was very interesting and enjoyable to read. Also nice to see that you were including the new teacher in your writing and I can tell she'll be a wonderful teacher aswell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malo e lelei Honor.
      It's very amazing seeing you learnt something new from my blog post about ngatu. Miss Myers is definitely an amazing teacher and will also be in the future.

      Thank you for your kind and thoughtful blog comment!

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Deborah

    I loved your post today not only being sweet to your teacher but showing readers about what you learnt was perfect. I think you described your session perfectly. I wish you could have another class so I can hear about what else you have done. Have you ever been to Tonga before? I wish I could travel there when I grow up because I have never been overseas. I have a big bucket list because the world is a big place and speaking of that I hope more people see your blog! Have a great day, Nga Mihi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Nia Jaye.
      I have been to Tonga quite often when I was younger, in fact I was always traveling with my parents at a young age until I reached my early middle age I started to focus on school.
      It's nice to hear you have a bucket list for the countries you want to visit. I think that when you do visit one of your bucket list that you will have an amazing time there.

      Thank you for commenting Nia Jaye ! Keep up the good work :)

      Delete