Pages

Monday 21 December 2020

My Hana Koko design

 

This activity was definitely a challenge, this activity got me thinking if santa was in tonga what would he be wearing?, and so that question made me thought of this idea as well as my inspiration. This is called a Puletaha that we wear in church,special occasion, weddings and more. Puletahas are mainly for church but we want to acknowledge our Island in all that we do. The challenging part about this was trying to figure out the costume, This shows a white tongan t-shirt as well as a plain black tupenu. On the sides of the clothing are the accessories, on the right side is a Kafa as well as a Kahoa, on the left side of the costume is a Ta'ovala, you may see most boy and girl where ta'ovala to church,funeral and more. This activity was definitely fun and can't wait for more!
Don't forget to leave a comment!
Thank you SLJ team,Mrs Grant and Fellow helpers

9 comments:

  1. Hi Deborah, your post is really awesome, you did a fantastic job explaining why you choose your costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna, I chose this costume because I am proud to be a Tongan and love to represent it.

      Delete
    2. I understand how you feel because I'm proud to Egyptian and whenever I get a chance to represent it I take it and do the best I can. Well done once again

      Delete
  2. Mālō e lelei Deborah

    Ben here from the SLJ commenting team.

    Thanks for this awesome blog post! I don’t know much about Tongan culture so this was very interesting for me. I have seen Tongan’s wearing the clothes you talk about though and it’s great that I now know what they are all called.

    Pākehā Santa Claus usually rides in a sleigh. What do you think Tongan Hana Kōkō would ride in to deliver presents?


    Mā te wā,

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malo e lelei Ben, I'm actually not sure what santa claus would ride? what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they would ride a salu like Reece has put in his post.
      https://gbsreecep.blogspot.com/2020/12/slj-week-2-monday_21.html
      Reece is talking about Samoan Santa though, not Tongan...
      I don't know enough about Tonga to know what Tongan Santa would do haha, sorry Deborah!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deborah!

    My name is Finau and I attend Pt England School. I really enjoyed reading your description about the blog post and what the costume was about. The costume really shows where you come from (I also love your Hana Koko costume). I'm also Tongan as well! Maybe next time you could download it as a png because I can still see the small squares. Anyways, keep up the amazing work Deborah!

    From Finau:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Finau
      Yes I will and thanks for commenting !

      Delete